Ravani tis Mamas — Mom’s Ravani

My mom’s most sought after desserts by our family and friends are her Ravani and Baklava. My personal favorite, by far, has always been her Ravani. This moist semolina cake sweetened by just the right amount of cinnamon-scented syrup is sublime.

This Ravani was one of the first desserts I made for my husband and it quickly became one of his favorites as well. Some time ago, he even treated his co-workers to some and as such I bake a large pan every couple of months for him to bring to the office. This special Ravani makes an appearance at pretty much every one of our holiday tables, whether made by my mom or myself. It’s a simple recipe that yields what I believe to be delicious results.

As tomorrow is Mother’s Day I couldn’t think of a better time to highlight my mom’s Ravani and for this reason I am sending this to Ivy of Kopiaste as she is hosting a Celebrating Mother’s Day event. I may be 31 but I still call my mom “Mommy.” Always have, always will. So … Mommy, I wish you a very Happy Mother’s Day! I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work and dedication to us girls (there are four of us) and for being such an amazing Giagia to your very lucky grandchildren. We love you …
Ravani tis Mamas–Mom’s Ravani
Makes a 13×9-inch Pan
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup simigdali psilo (fine semolina)
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

For the Syrup:
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon honey (preferably thyme)
2 cinnamon sticks
A couple drops of lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease your pan and set aside. Combine the flour, semolina and baking powder in a small bowl.

In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the butter and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and begin adding the flour mixture a little at a time until just combined.
Pour into pan and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes then lower oven to 350 degrees and bake until golden, about 30 minutes.

While the cake bakes, place all the ingredients for the syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer on low until the cake is ready.

Using a ladle, add some of the hot syrup to the hot cake a little at a time until done. Set aside, cool to room temperature and serve.

26 Responses to “Ravani tis Mamas — Mom’s Ravani”

1. elly says:

I like ravani a lot but it’s funny – no one in my family ever really made it! I think I will have to give your mom’s recipe a try. It looks delicious.

2. Peter G says:

It’s a toss up between this and karidopita as my favourite Greek cake…This revani is a fine tribute to our mum Maria…looks great!

Happy Mother’s Day Maria mou to you and your mom. Your mom must be very proud of the daughter she has raised. I am drooling with your ravani even if it’s early in the morning.

4. Mediterranean kiwi says:

well done – this is a greek classic, enjoyed all over greece
    it is also commonly served as dessert in greek restaurants

5. Betty's Cuisine says:

Very good classic Greek recipe. The combination of some mastiha or vanilla ice cream on top is heaven!

6. gastroanthropologist says:

the cake looks so moist and delicious. Love the cinnamon scent. I’m 28 and I still call Mom and Dad, Mommy and Daddy too.

7. Ruth Daniels says:

I don’t think I’ve ever tried ravani. Now I have to and no excuses about no recipes, either.

Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

8. Vicky says:

I am one of the luckiest who actually tasted it. It is like melting in mom’s arms – so spoiled and satisfied that you don’t want to think about anything else :) Thank you for sharing your mommy’s love with us!

9. 5 Star Foodie says:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe from your mom. I would love to try this delicious dessert!

10. Hopie says:

This looks absolutely delicious. I’ve never baked with semolina before. Looks like I’ll have to get started :-)

11. Peter M says:

Like Peter, this and karydopita are my faves. You mom gave you this recipe, now you make it for your husband and children – it’s your recipe.

Happy Mother’s day!

12. FoodJUnkie says:

I love ravani. It is always great with a big scoop of ice cream on top!

13. Konstantina says:

Hi Maria!
    I have a small surprise for you in my blog!
    If you want, go have a look!

Konstantina

14. ♥Rosie♥ says:

A beautiful entry for Ivy’s event Maria! A lovely post dedicated to your mum.

Rosie x

15. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen says:

I love simple delicious desserts like this! Looks great! I don’t think I have ever had Ravini before…

16. alexandra says:

Oh, I wish my mother lived closer to me so that I could make this for her. She would adore this. I need to find a shop where I can find fine semolina. My best bet might be ordering online.

17. vincent says:

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

18. tobias cooks! says:

the good old Ravani. I can’t get enough of it. I love Kaimaki Ice cream with it.

19. Bella says:

What size pan should be used? I did not notice it listed…thank you for your reply…

Bella: I use a 9×13-inch Pyrex baking dish. Enjoy!

21. Bella says:

thank you for the reply!

22. elly says:

Just made this tonight and it was fantastic! I’ll be blogging it soon, hopefully.

23. [...] from Kali Orexi 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 3/4 cup sugar 6 eggs 1 tsp. vanilla 1 cup fine semolina [...]

24. eirini says:

Mou aresi

25. Sophia says:

Hi Maria, I love your post – I wish my three daughters feel the same about me when they grow up- and that I deserve it!

I live in the UK- when you say “sticks” of butter how much is it in grams per packet / “stick”?

I love that our Greek traditions continue through our kouzina!

XSophia

Hello Sophia! One stick of butter here is 4 ounces, which translates to approximately 113 grams. Hope that helps and that you and your girls enjoy the recipe :)