Magical Mastiha … Entree

My Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24 event continued with a main course of pan-seared lamb loin chops served with a creamy, tangy and oh so buttery mastiha-infused Bearnaise … well, actually a Bearnaise short-cut. I read about a Bearnaise Butter on Epicurious.com and decided a version flavored with mastiha would be an ideal accompaniment for simple lamb chops. Served with fresh vegetables and some crusty bread it was all we needed for a satisfying meal.

Pan Grilled Lamb Chops with a Mastiha Bearnaise Butter

2 racks lamb loin, 2.5 lbs each
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

For the Mastiha Bearnaise Butter:
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
3 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, divided
3 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) butter, room temperature
2 crystals mastiha, ground with a mortar/pestle

Prepare the Mastiha Bearnaise Butter in advance (can be made a couple of days ahead of time, bring to room temperature before serving):

In a small saucepan combine the shallots, vinegar, half the tarragon and half the parsley. Simmer over medium-high heat until vinegar is reduced to about 3 tablespoons. Strain through a fine sieve into a small bowl, pressing on solids to release any liquid. Discard solids; cool tarragon vinegar.

Mix butter, mastiha and remaining chopped tarragon and parsley in medium bowl to blend. Mix in cooled tarragon vinegar. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Heat stovetop grill pan over medium high heat. Cut the lamb loin rack into chops; season chops well with salt and freshly ground pepper. Sear the chops in the grill pan about 3 minutes per side. Remove grill pan from heat and place in the oven to finish cooking the lamb, about 10 minutes.

Arrange the lamb chops on platter and top with a bit of the Mastiha Bearnaise Butter. Serve the chops with some sauteed vegetables (I sauteed fennel, green beans and yellow squash in some olive oil and finished them with a splash of ouzo and a sprinkling of ground mastiha) and provide the remaining Bearnaise Butter on the side.

12 Responses to “Magical Mastiha … Entree”

1. Artemis says:

It looks delicious! Everything you make is beyond words. Congratulations, you are very talented!

That dish looks really wonderful! A nice combo!

3. Erica says:

That mastiha butter sounds wonderful!!! Great dish.

4. Anna A says:

I’d like to bathe in that bernaisse butter. PS. I went to AB today and found mastiha crystals! Now, to smuggle them back to LA w/out looking too suspicious.

Genius to add mastiha in the Bearnaise sauce. I think I can smell it through the screeen.

Maria, a novel twist to a Bearnaise…mastiha rules!

7. Like I said last time Maria…you have provided some innovative recipes using mastiha…this is another example!

8. Joanna says:

Hello,

Can you please contact me at Yiannab@yahoo.com? I didn’t see contact info on your site.

Efharisto!

Joanna

9. Hello Maria. This is my first visit to your blog. Your recipes are incredible! Especially this one. I love the flavor of mastiha but I couldn’t possibly have imagined it in a bearnaise sauce. What a wonderful idea. I have to try it, see how it tastes.
    Magda

Hi Ioanna! Thanks for stopping by. I am updating the site with some contact info and will be in touch over the next day or so. Thanks!

So glad you stopped by! I am off to take a look at your site as well … and I look forward to reading up on all the great dishes you have to offer!

12. [...] you will delight in such dishes as her Gemista – Wild Rice Stuffed Green Peppers and Magical Mastiha.  Those with a sweet tooth won’t be disappointed as they savor the bounty from her Greek [...]