Tyrokafteri — Τυροκαυτερή

One of my favorite Greek spreads/dips is a spicy combination of Feta and peppers whipped to heavenly smoothness and served with slices of crusty bread or toasted pita triangles. Known as tyrokafteri, this dip comes in many forms as some prepare it with spicy green peppers, others with red; some with yogurt, others without; and still some with additional cheeses, while others with just quality Feta. One thing is for sure though: as this dip’s name aptly implies (tyri = cheese, kafteri = hot), it is meant to be a fiery flavorful Feta (nice alliteration, right?!) spread … and I do mean fiery!

My version features Feta, a bit of Greek yogurt, olive oil, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, a dash of cayenne pepper, a splash of cider vinegar and some finely chopped peperoncini. It’s a flavorful spread and can easily be made a day or two ahead. Serve as an appetizer spread along with some bread and plump olives or spread it on a sandwich … it is that good. Kali Orexi!

Tyrokafteri — Τυροκαυτερή

1 1/4 cups crumbled  Feta
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
Hefty pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 peperoncini, finely chopped

Add the Feta, yogurt, paprika, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, cider vinegar and the chopped peperoncini to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth. Slowly add the olive oil in a stream and pulse until you reach desired consistency (you may not need all the oil). Adjust seasonings as necessary (it should be spicy). Refrigerate at least one hour and then serve with your choice of crusty bread, pita triangles or crackers.

**Add more or less yogurt and/or olive oil to achieve your desired consistency.

21 Responses to “Tyrokafteri — Τυροκαυτερή”

1. Nora says:

Wow, I’ve never heard of this, but it sounds absolutely delicious. Will definitely have to try this!

2. Peter G says:

Oooh! I love this version Maria. The addition of yogurt is great. I’d love some extra pites with it thanks!

3. Niki says:

Oh Maria, Maria!!! This is one of my top three fav Greek spreads (heck, any spreads!) Skordalia and Tzatziki share the #1 spot with Tyrokafteri (cause they’re all #1 in my book!
    And as silly as this sounds, I’ve never made it, but now I must. Especially since I have this handy recipe right here!

One of my favourite speads. I also use yoghurt in mine.

5. Anna A. says:

Love it! I keep thinking about making this and there are no excuses – it’s super easy. Yours looks fantastic!

6. maria says:

you’ve done a superb job on this one – when i next make it, i will use this recipe

The heat in Tyrokafteri will certainly warm us up in January. This always vanishes quickly from the table. Make extra!

8. Nice dip, gotta remember this for next party.

9. Oh, I haven’t tried tyrokafteri, and it sounds so delicious – bookmarked to try soon!

10. elly says:

You know, I’m not sure I have EVER had this, which makes me really sad. Looking at your ingredients, I know I would fall in love. Thanks for the inspiration!

11. Muneeba says:

Oh yes, that does sound like a great new spread for me to try out … move over regular old hummus .. pita bread has a new friend in town!

12. Stamatia says:

Not one I grew up with (I’ve only had grocery-store versions as an adult which I didn’t care for), but I’ll have to try this! In fact, I think I’ll make it tonight (once I wash all the dishes from last night revithokeftedes debacle…)

That is a goregeous spread! Lovely blog!

14. Kevin says:

This dip sounds really good! I like the use of the yogurt in it.

15. Stamatia says:

I don’t know what I did wrong but mine turned out like soup! Maybe I over-processed it, or it’s the yogurt (it seemed runnier than usual), either way here’s hoping it firms up in the fridge…

16. Any Greek dish is always so flavorful and satisfying. This would be a nice, fancy Superbowl dip. :)

I’m sorry I didn’t get to respond sooner…did it turn out well in the end? Perhaps the yogurt was a little more watery? Also, did you add all the oil at once or stream it in little by little as you may not have needed it all? I should have mentioned that in the ingredient list (I’d only said it in the directions). I’d love to hear your feedback!

18. Melanie says:

I’ll Digg this, thanks!

19. [...] Inspired by Kali Orexi [...]

20. anastasia says:

love your sight,just find it.Greetigs from Greece.If you want a different version of the recipe remove the vinegar and add a tablespoon af pasta tomatoe and tiny slised parsly for a grate red and green colour.And make sure that the yougurt is extemelly fat(10%).Good luck.

21. Kali Patras says:

Yay! Thank you, love your recipe for this! I am going to wrap this up in a puff pastry with spinach for Christmas appiteezers ;)