Spring is in the air and I am already wanting to eat lighter. We’ve had some beautiful weather here in New York–a stark contrast to the snowy conditions experienced a mere 10 days ago–so it’s only natural I now want to eat dishes with vibrant, fresh flavors that require little to no effort/cooking (because that extra time should really be spent letting the kiddies release some of that pent up energy playing outside; or releasing my own pent up energy playing outside for that matter).

Just boil your favorite pasta shape–I love penne for salads as it retains all the dressing in every shape. Dress it with a balsamic vinaigrette. Then toss it with colorful grape tomatoes, scallions and plenty of fresh herbs. That’s it. A simple, no-frills, family-friendly recipe for a flavorful pasta salad. Add some cheese if you wish … some goat cheese or crumbled Feta is what I prefer. Or some chopped olives. Maybe even a caper or two. It really is up to you.

Kali Orexi!

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Hefty pinch of dried Greek oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
2 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped dill
6 scallions, chopped

1 lb. penne pasta

Whisk olive oil, oregano, balsamic vinegar, crushed red pepper and garlic in small bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Combine tomatoes, parsley, dill and scallions in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Let tomato mixture stand for up to 2 hours, stirring occassionally.

Cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain pasta; rinse with cold water; toss in colander and let it drain again. Place pasta in a large bowl; combine with dressing and tomato mixture and toss to blend. Let sit five minutes before serving.

20 Responses to “Σαλάτα με Πένες, Nτομάτα, Kρεμμυδάκια και Βινεγκρέτ Bαλσαμικό — Simple Pasta Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette”

1. Pasta salads like this are the best….mmmm…some capers would be nice. Beautiful pics Maria!

2. Πολύ δροσερή μακαρονάδα! Απλή και νόστιμη!

Simple but surely delicious.

Simple, but so good!

5. I love sauceless pasta recipes like this. Yum!

6. This is a great summer pasta dish! :)

A fine way to usher in the warm weather. Pasta salads need bright flavours to jump out of the plate as they are cool.

8. Elizabeth says:

Apologies if providing a link to epicurious.com just “isn’t done”…I’m a regular reader of this blog, but not a blogger myself. That said, this is probably my favourite no-cook pasta meal (although Maria’s recipe above may become a new favourite). It involves a mediterranean salsa cruda consisted of tuna, capers, Kalamata olives, marinated artichoke hearts – I reserve some of the oil for extra flavour – and lemon juice and zest. The recipe combines the salsa crude with small pasta shells, but I prefer Barilla’s whole wheat pennes for a bit of extra tooth.

Sadly, I can no longer find marinated artichoke hearts here in Thessaloniki so can’t make this anymore, but here is the link to the epicurious recipe for those who are interested:

9. Elizabeth says:

Forgot to add above, the salsa cruda above is finished with chopped flat leaf parsley. It really brings the whole dish to life.

10. Erica says:

I love pasta salads!!!!Your looks amazing!I can’t wait for summer to come!!!

11. Núria says:

Beautiful and delicious pictures Maria!!! I am in the mood for salads and yours is perfect and colourful :D .

I’m sorry I haven’t been around much. I appreciate your patience and comments in my blog. Thank you darling :D

12. Muneeba says:

Man, does that look good! Even to someone like me, who is not even into salads … still, if you make this, I’d eat it :)

13. Simple good stuff. Everything you make looks good! Glad to hear NY has been having good weather. I’ll be there in April!

14. Those tomatoes look lovely…….and the qhole meal would be delish. So so so delish!

15. Teresa says:

Love grape tomatoes. And what a lovely vinaigrette.

16. Very refreshing pasta salad, I hope Spring is here soon!!!

17. Foodjunkie says:

A beautiful dish especially fro summer when the tomatoes are at their best!

18. Looking at your photos I can already see summer! Great flavors and so refreshing!

19. Niko's Dad says:

Made this for Greek School’s potluck for the Independence Day program tomorrow (Sunday), along with some lenten chocolate cake. The salad is very, very good. Didn’t think there would be enough dressing, but it’s the perfect amount.

Niko’s Dad: I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe! I hope guests at the event enjoy it too. Kai tou xronou!