Savory Custards with Spinach and Cheese

The Royal Foodie Joust took a short hiatus but it is back and we are all hoping with a vengeance. What’s the Royal Foodie Joust you ask? I’m pretty sure if you’re a blogger, you  already know by now that it is a friendly competition hosted by Jenn, The Leftover Queen, every month to rally some competitive gusto and get bloggers to strut  their [culinary] stuff. The winter months can prove a bit difficult in terms of participation but let’s hope the sense of renewal and rebirth brought on by spring gets more of us to offer up a creative dish using the month’s three special ingredients (May’s being Eggs, Cheese and Greens) to be judged by our fellow peers and members of the Foodie Blogroll (speaking of which, if you aren’t already a member of the Foodie Blogroll, just what are you waiting for?).

And here’s my entry to this month’s Joust: nothing mind-blowingly creative for sure, although my husband kept insisting he “doesn’t know of anyone else who can cook quite as good as [me]” in between spoonfuls of this savory custard creation.  I just combined a few egg yolks, some half & half, marbled cheddar and a healthy spoonful of the Spinach Tsigareli I just used in another recipe and baked these little babies in a water-bath until they set. Easy-peasy and a great little dish to serve for brunch, lunch or as a first course to any dinner party.

Good luck to everyone participating in the Royal Foodie Joust this month!

Savory Custards with Spinach and Cheese
Makes 6 ramekins

4  egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 1/3 cups half & half (or light cream)
1/3 cup grated cheese (cheddar, Gruyere, fontina)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Olive oil, for brushing ramekins
1 cup Spinach Tsigareli (spinach sauteed with shallots, paprika, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush the ramekins with some olive oil and set aside. In a large bowl (preferably with a “spout”), whisk the yolks, egg and half & half (or cream) and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese. Pour the mixture into the ramekins (3/4 full). Place the ramekins in a medium/large baking pan. Add a heaping tablespoonful of the braised spinach to the center of each ramekin. Carefully add enough hot water to the baking pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the baking pan loosely with foil and bake in the center of the oven until just set, about 40 minutes. Remove foil and let the tops of the custards brown slightly. Remove baking pan from oven; use tongs to transfer ramekins to a wire rack. Let cool 5 to 7 minutes then serve.

17 Responses to “Savory Custards with Spinach and Cheese”

That is a very good idea! Anything that has spinach and cheese is for me!

Maria, a fine first coarse and I’d even have this room temp with some seasonal greens!

3. Glad to see the joust is back! These look divine…love the fact that you used the spinach tsigarelli. Great pics too Maria!

These look very creative and delicious Maria. I was planning to make something today containing these three ingredients without knowing about the Joust. My green ingredient is courgette and I’ll have to check what exactly “greens” is supposed to be.

5. Anna A. says:

You got my vote, no doubt. Just what am I waiting for? Shoot, I better sign up for the blogroll. Holler!

Those look wonderful!

7. maria says:

i love the use of good greek ingredients to make something very different – these look delicious

8. I think these custards are gorgeous – a very elegant dish made with simple ingredients! Best of luck in the Joust!

9. Cheesy spinach custard…mmmm…sounds fantastic.

10. I would loveeeeeeeee this. Ceehse and spinach – yum.

11. Wonderful custards, a great combo with spinach & cheese! I didn’t realize that the joust was back, must check it out!

12. Joan Nova says:

Great job Maria. And the photos are terrific – you may take the prize in all categories!

13. Foodjunkie says:

What a great idea for a dinner party! I don;t think I’ve ever had savoury custards before, but they must be quite delicious. Good luck at the Joust

14. Erica says:

This look so good!The pictures are amazing!

15. Sook says:

Ooh.. they look so beautiful and delicious! mmmm

16. Núria says:

Delicious pictures Maria!!!! Love the design of your new blog ♥

I don’t like cheese in general but these caught my eye and my stomach ;D

17. Glennis says:

I think it’s interesting to see the different approaches to baked eggs…you held back the egg whites and I incorporated them. You have a lovely, creamy consistency, I have a firm consistency that rises. So close, yet so far away! I was working toward a different end, however, this was what worked. Good luck at the Joust!