Sausage over Creamy Golden Lentils

A couple of weeks ago I received some samples of heirloom beans from Marx Foods. The company had gotten some new stock and quickly posted an announcement on its site, that a cup of any two of the varieties would be sent out to bloggers willing to test drive the pulses. I opted in and was sent a cup each of the Petite Golden Lentils and Marrow Beans.

I immediately used the Petite Golden Lentils in this quick and simple weeknight dish. The yellowish, kernel-like pulse cooked down to reveal a silky, smooth texture and mild earthy flavor. A few simple vegetables (carrots, celery, onion, garlic) and some dried herbs and spices (cumin, curry, bay leaf, thyme) were all these golden beauties needed to showcase their flavor and serve as a flavorful bed for the chunks of sausage I served them with.

Sausage over Creamy Golden Lentils

1 lb. Italian sausage (I used Pepper, Onion and Mushroom Pork Sausage), casings removed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
Bay leaf
Pinch of dried thyme
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup petite golden lentils
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup heavy cream
Finely chopped parsley

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a dutch oven. Add the sausage to the oil and brown well, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon. Once browned well, remove sausage pieces to a plate using a slotted spoon and cover to keep warm. In the oil left in the dutch oven, saute the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaf, dried thyme, curry, cumin and crushed red pepper flakes then add the lentils, coat well and cook for a minute more. Pour the chicken broth into the dutch oven along with 1 cup of the water and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the lentils are tender and cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes (add additional water as necessary to thoroughly cook the lentils). Once the lentils are cooked through, stir in the heavy cream and remove the dutch oven from the heat.

Spoon the golden lentils into a dish and top with the sausage. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

26 Responses to “Sausage over Creamy Golden Lentils”

1. Joan Nova says:

mmm…sausage and lentils are a perfect pairing.

2. Mmmm…I’ve done chorizo with chickpeas but never lentils with sausages. This looks divine! I can feel a “inspired by Maria” post coming on. This dish would be perfect for our current cooler weather.

A yummy dish! I am hungry now.

I’ve never heard of these lentils before but they look like Greek fava, although fava is not a lentil but is a pea. Great way of preparing them.

5. alison says:

so delicious ,a perfect dinner dish !

6. τέλειο έγινε, οι αποφλοιωμένες φακές είναι ιδιαίτερα ελαφριες στο στομάχι, υπέροχος ο συνδυασμός με το λουκάνικο

7. Anna A says:

Mmmm Love those lentils, and especially love how they cook so fast. I made some red lentil hummus the other day.

What a novel ingredient and yeah, they remind me of Greek fava.

This puree is a healthy and delish alternative to potatoes…mashed golden lentils anyone?

9. Foodjunkie says:

This looks like greek “fava” and is probably the same! I have never thought of combining it with sausage but I am sure it will be a great combination, as the lentils are quite bland on their own.

10. Elizabeth says:

These really DO look like fava. Could they bean the same – or at least, I wonder if fava could be used in the same way..?

Either way, this looks delicious – good enough for me to ALMOST wish we had cold weather rather than summer. Although Thessaloniki’s nights have been chilly enough lately I might just get away with making this. Hmmmm.

11. I agree with everyone that these lentils look a lot like fava. I’ve never tried yellow lentils… You have enticed me to do so. The combination with the sausage is certainly delicious. Just seems to me more of a winter dish rather than a summery one. I’m gonna have to wait till winter!
    Magda

This dish looks so delicious! Love lentils!

13. I need to find other lentils recipes to finish the lentils sitting in the cupboard. Your way of matching with sausages sound a good balance with the lentils. Love the presentation too!

14. ειρήνη says:

είναι τέλειο το φαγάκι σου!μου αρέσει πολύ ο συνδιασμός που έχεις κάνει!μου θύμισε την πολέντα με λουκάνικο που έχω φάει στην ιταλία..αλλά είμαι σίγουρη ότι αυτό είναι καλύτερο!

15. elly says:

Those look so creamy and delicious! I love lentils and am actually posting something I made with lentils today, too. Now I’m craving them all over again, even though I thought I was weird for eating them a few times already in the middle of summer. :)

16. great way of serving sausage and lentils.

17. [...] side dish, there really wasn’t enough for that.  I thought I’d do something like this golden lentil recipe, only using red lentils and a different selection of seasonings.  And, of course, fennel.  [...]

18. A dish with a distinct flavor!:)

19. Sugar Buzz says:

I love this combination! I think my boyfriend will love it too as he like fava, so I’ll make a try!!

20. [...] steam and bean juice had cleared, one competitor reigned supreme: Maria of blog Kali Orexi with her Sausage over Creamy Golden Lentils Recipe.  Her presentation was simple, yet refined with a combination of flavors that had our mouths [...]

21. doggybloggy says:

well done! This looks like a perfect dish.

22. Christine says:

Hello! I love your photos. And you’re so lucky for the free lentils. You got them for free right?
    I hope you don’t mind I uploaded your photos in Foodista. You can vote down the picture if you don’t want to use it there. But I did tell it’s from your blog. =)
    You can link this lentil blog to Foodista too. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it’s all set, Thanks!

23. Joanna says:

Congrats on your win! Your photos are lovely and this recipe sounds delicious! I will definitely try it soon!

24. [...] other bloggers, a couple of bean samples.  The also provided a sample to another blogger of golden lentils.  Wow, those lentils sure are busy, huh?  First there were just regular old  lentils, then green [...]

25. This looks soooooo GOOD! Cant wait to try it. Your photos are excellent really mouthwatering. I am an adopted Greek…. My huband is greek and has taken me full throttle into his culture. I just spent 1 month travelling aorund the islands for my honeymoon…. Just loved it.