Greek Pumpkin Pie / Pita (Kολοκυθόπιτα)

During our visit to Maskers Orchards in upstate New York a couple of weeks ago, along with the apples we got to pick ourselves we picked up some small pumpkins from the farm’s market … and paid just $3 for 4 pumpkins weighing about 3 to 4 pounds each.

After decorating the dining room with these orange beauties for Halloween, I decided to start using them in the kitchen. I’ve used two pumpkins so far and made a pumpkin and coconut milk soup, freezer-friendly pumpkin puree that will prove quite useful in the near future and this Greek Kολοκυθόπιτα or Pumpkin Pie that you have got to try.

This pita or pie may be somewhat sweet but it’s not necessarily dessert. My husband’s aunt, who lives in Agrinio, makes this throughout the summer as large orange- and yellow-fleshed squash and pumpkins begin showing up across the fruit/vegetable market stalls early in August. We eat it as breakfast, as a snack or as a light lunch along with a refreshing salad. It is simple and flavorful and something you will definitely want to try.

So go on … bring something new to your Thanksgiving table next week with this classic Greek Pumpkin Pie or Kολοκυθόπιτα: It’s all the flavors of the season and the holiday and a Greek take on your classic American pumpkin pie.

Greek Pumpkin Pie / Pita (Kολοκυθόπιτα)

A small pumpkin, about 3.5 lbs.
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup milk or cream
1/2 cup short grain rice

8 sheets of thick phyllo, I used Apollo brand #7
Olive oil for brushing phyllo
12-inch round baking tin

Clean and peel the pumpkin. Cut it into large chunks, then pulse the pumpkin in a food processor until finely chopped. Pour the pumpkin into a large bowl. Add the cinnamon, salt, sugar, olive oil, milk or cream and rice and stir well to combine. Set the bowl aside for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Oil the baking tin then begin layering 5 sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with oil before topping with the next. Spread the filling over the phyllo then begin topping with the remaining 3 sheets. Brush the top sheet with oil and bake in the center of the oven until the phyllo is golden, about 1 hour.

17 Responses to “Greek Pumpkin Pie / Pita (Kολοκυθόπιτα)”

That version of pumpkin pie is awesome! I really have to try your recipe as soon as I get my hands on filo pastry.

This looks scrumptious! A crunchy texture with a great filling!

3. This is very reminiscent of my mothers recipe Maria..she also adds raisins to it, I think. You bring back a lot of memories with this dish. Thank you!

4. I love these pumpkin pie squares! They look so crumbly and delicious!

5. Joan Nova says:

I love pumpkin and I love Greek desserts so this is a happy marriage. I could see a spoonful of Greek yogurt on the side.

6. That’s what I’m talkin ’bout! I love this kind of pie, although I’ve actually never had the sweetened version (my family makes it savory with manouri cheese and mint). I’ve always been curious about the sweet version. I will try this for sure! Love the huge pumpkins and all the stuff you “have” to make with them :)

7. Your pie looks gorgeous Maria. I love how crunchy the phyllo looks! I would love to try this recipe of yours sometime, it’s a bit different from the ones I have.
    Magda

Your pita looks flavoursome. Last week I was very tempted to get squash at the farmers’ market but was still feeling very tired so maybe this week as it’s been ages since I made kolokythopita.

9. Foodjunkie says:

For some obscure reason I never liked Greek pumpkin pie. I think it is the only food containing pumpkin I do not eat! Yours looks good though.

10. Hey maria, how are you? This looks so interesting and somethign that i know i would love love love! How lovely it is to have you on here so i can taste and samle you food. So lovely! This is definitely my next trial!

11. oh, what a terrific idea – a pumpkin cake with phyllo! It’s a perfect new dessert for Thanksgiving, definitely bookmarked!

A very interesting approach here, Maria…the pumpkin is raw before being baked. The result looks fab and I’d love a piece right about now.

13. this pumpkin pita looks exquisite and I was just wondering about the baking time and oven temp. I may try it at a slower oven maybe 350 because I am afraid the dough will crisp up before the filling gets thoroughly cooked.

14. I’m not a big fan of American style pumpkin pie, but this is could do for sure!

15. OHHHH YAY. Greek.Pumpkin.Filo. SOLD. I can’t wait to make this, I wonder if it would taste just as good if I substituted brown rice.

16. That pumpkin phyllo pie looks so good!

17. This looks amazing! I love pumpkin!
    I’m having my first linky party on my blog and the theme is pumpkin. I’d like to invite you to come link up your favorite pumpkin recipe. The link is open until Wednesday at midnight, so please stop by and say hi.

~Cookin’ Cowgirl