Summer Youvetsi — Καλοκαιρινό Γιουβέτσι

Here’s a summery, light take on the traditional Greek dish Youvetsi (lamb baked in a tomato sauce with orzo). I’ve taken some chicken thighs (the skin of which I removed to keep things light), seasoned them with a sprinkling of Sweet Smoked Paprika, salt and freshly ground pepper and simmered them with fresh bell pepper, onion, garlic and a juicy red tomato. A healthy dose of fresh parsley livens it all up and creamy orzocooked directly in the tomato sauce tops off this healthy dish. Try this and I promise you that in no time at all you’ll have a delicious meal that you can easily enjoy al fresco on a warm summer night.

For a cold-weather version of Youvetsi, check out my recipe here.

Summer Youvetsi — Καλοκαιρινό Γιουβέτσι
Serves 4 to 6

4 to 6 chicken thighs, skins removed
Sweet smoked paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red/orange pepper, diced
1 large tomato, peeled and diced
Handful of parsley, finely chopped
1 cup orzo
2 1/2 cups water

Rinse chicken thighs under cold water and trim any excess fat. Pat dry with a paper towel, then season with a sprinkling of sweet smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken on both sides until golden. Once the chicken is browned, add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes and parsley, bring to a simmer (reduce heat slightly), cover skillet and cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer (add a bit of water as necessary to increase liquid in skillet).

Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken thighs to a plate along with a few tablespoons of the sauce. Add the orzo to the skillet along with the 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the orzo is cooked through. Once done, add the chicken back to the skillet and heat through. Serve with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley.

14 Responses to “Summer Youvetsi — Καλοκαιρινό Γιουβέτσι”

1. hubby says:

tastes really good!!!

A delicious lookind dish! Orzo is so great and versatile.

Nice to read you again…

cheers,

3. Jackie says:

This looks so yum. Great job =)

4. Ooooh, this is gonna be mighty popular in our household! Love anything with chicken and orzo. Thank you for sharing.

5. First off, I’d like to say I’m glad you see you back in the blogosphere. Did you start Glyka bake shop? Secondly, I am shamed as a Greek to admit I don’t think I’ve ever had youvetsi before. Maybe it’s not an Asia minor Greek thing? Living in Greece for a year and going back and forth all the time I have never had a homemade youvetsi. I think it’s prime time to make some!

6. Welcome back Maria! Nice to see another version of yiouvetsi. Love the lighter touch in this dish!

7. Vasiliki says:

Nice to have you back! I Love, love LOVE Youvetsi!! And your version with the paprika sounds great!

It’s been a long time since I last read one of your posts… I hope that you are doing well.

9. Since becoming vegetarian a few years ago, I’ve supplanted youvetsi with spanikorizo. I bet though that I could try this recipe minus the chicken. Maybe add some heirloom tomatoes…

10. ειρήνη says:

φαινεται τοσο λαχταριστο!

11. Núria says:

Hola Beauty! Long time no see! I just came to say hello (like the song says) and also enjoy your great cooking arts!!! Hope everything is ok with you and your family. Happy new year!

If I had orzo in my kitchen you bet that would be our lunch today :D

12. fruitandcake says:

Hello everybody. Very nice blog. This recipe sounds delicious. I love this lighter version of it. I shall try it.
    Thanksssssss.

13. What a beautiful version for Giouvetsi. We recently published one with beef. The chicken version you made looks sooo delicious! Thank you for sharing!

14. pi says:

Good to see this interesting version of güveç.